Earth Day 2022
The Retail Energy Supply Association (RESA) is celebrating Earth Day this year by sharing helpful tips to reduce your energy footprint and lower your monthly bills. Here are some easy ways to celebrate earth day from home:
- Switch to energy-efficient LED light bulbs, which use at least 75% less energy than an incandescent bulb. It’s also recommended to use timers, motion detectors or other smart home technologies to turn your lights on and off to conserve energy.
- Your air conditioner needs routine maintenance to ensure optimal performance. The Department of Energy reports that replacing a dirty filter can lower your air conditioner’s energy consumption by up to 15%. Make sure to set a calendar reminder to change your air filters every 3-6 months.
- Use smart power strips or outlets to limit electricity usage of devices that appear to be turned off, such as TVs, cable boxes and gaming consoles. These smart power strips and outlets enable complete shut-off of the devices plugged into it, which helps reduce energy waste, while saving money.
- Weatherization is an effective way to efficiently use energy in your home. Sealing the air leaks around your doors, windows, vents and other areas can save up to 20% of your home’s energy use.
- Operate your thermostat efficiently. The smaller the difference between the outside temperature and the thermostat in your house, the less pricey your energy bill will be.
If you are in an energy choice state and want to know more about your options for renewable energy, RESA has a tool on the website to help you navigate! Visit: https://www.resausa.org/for-consumers/energy-shopping-101/#suppliers to learn more.